Saturday, July 2, 2016

Broadening My Skillset

     As of lately, a lot of people have been asking about my summer plans and what I want to do after completing my last year of undergrad. I begin explaining my Code Hunt research position and explain how I'm learning computer programming. "Well aren't you an accounting major?" is typically the first response I receive. Yes I am, however, learning computer programming software has helped sharpen my "beginning-to-end" thinking process, which is critical in the accounting field.

    Seeing as most accountants actively use excel spreadsheets and other financial related software and programs for accounting measures, it is important to understand the step-by-step decision making process that is also derived from learning and executing computer code. Learning R has gotten me familiar with troubleshooting errors line by line and that same skill transfers over when working on my accounting related course work in cost accounting and other upper level courses I have taken.

    Recent articles from AICPA, explain that graduating accounting students pursuing the Big Four public accounting firms [E&Y, Deloitte, KPMG, and PwC] should pursue Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license and students should also consider learning how to code. The combined range of skills makes students highly competitive in their field and very marketable as technology continues to carry on. I am excited to continue learning about code and see how I can take these skills with me once I enter the work force. Initially, I never would have thought about combining the two, until the opportunity presented itself after a quick discussion with Dr. Xie and I am glad I took the chance.

http://www.aicpa.org/interestareas/accountingeducation/newsandpublications/pages/should-accounting-students-code.aspx

Joshua Reed
July 2nd, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment