Saturday, July 16, 2016

Research as a Learning Experience

One of America's founding fathers, Benjamin Franklin, once said "Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn". In my own personal academic experience, I have noticed that the majority of the time when I do not understand a subject it is because I have no interest in learning it because I have no part in it. If you attempt to teach me about a subject like art or history, I struggle to maintain interest because I had no part in developing the art ,and the history I am being taught about does not include me. I am able to remember the information but since I have no personal involvement in it I do not learn from it. This in my opinion is one of the major reasons why the mistakes of history are constantly repeated because history is not taught in a way that most people are able easily apply to themselves.

However, research is something that demands involvement in order to be successful. I cannot attempt to research about subject if I do not become enagaged in learning about the subject and drawing connections and conclusions from what I observe. This demand for involvement in turn makes me learn by making me think critically to recognize trends and patterns in my research.

Over this past summer, I have learned more about programming than I ever had in any of the programming classes I have taken in college. Instead of creating some random program which prints out a matrix of randomly generated numbers, I am learning how to use real life variables such as time, skill level, and user attempts to make conclusions on user experiences. This application of programming to analyze real life variables has allowed me to increase my ability to see statistical trends and has also improved my program troubleshooting ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment